Here are 25 mind-blowing facts about the United Kingdom, followed by what I find to be the most interesting fact about it
- French was the official language in United Kingdom for roughly 300 years!
- The shortest war against England was with Zanzibar in 1896, Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes…
- There are over 300 languages spoken in the UK.
- The English drink more tea than anyone one else in the world!
- The British drink 165 million cups of tea daily.
- The Queen has 30 God children.
- The Queen sent her first email in 1976.
- The London Eye is the tallest Ferris Wheel in the whole of Europe.
- 25% of Londoners were born outside of the United Kingdom.
- In the UK if you reach the age of 100, you get a personalised card from the Queen.
- In London, it’s illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.
- The UK is smaller than the US state of Oregon.
- Nigeria has more English speakers than the United Kingdom.
- The average car in the United Kingdom spends around 95% parked.
- The oldest house in the United Kingdom is nearly 6000 years old and has stone furniture that is still intact.
- The British Navy uses Britney Spears’ songs to scare off Somali pirates. (this made me laugh)
- In the UK, it is illegal to ride a hoverboard scooter in public.
- Prince Charles has been first in line as heir to the UK’s throne for more than 64 years.
- The British eat over 1.5 billion (1,500,000,000) sandwiches every year!
- The are more chicken than people in England.
- In 1647, Christmas was abolished by the English Parliament. No-one was allowed to celebrate!
- The picture of the Queen on £1 coins show her age at the time they were made.
- Windsor Castle is the oldest royal residence in the world that is still being used by the royal family.
- Winston Churchill had a secret bunker in Neasden.
- Henry III kept a polar bear in the Tower of London. It swam in the River Thames.
Some old and weird United Kingdom laws
The Queen of England has legally unexercised ownership rights for .
It is illegal to destroy or deface money, according to the Currency and Banknotes Act.
It is illegal to sing any profane or obscene song or ballad in any street (Metropolitan Police Act).
You are not allowed to carry a plank along a pavement in London.
It’s illegal for someone to “import into England potatoes which he knows to be or has reasonable cause to suspect to be Polish potatoes”.