According to her website and various social media posts, Aghdam believed that YouTube was discriminating against her videos, causing her to lose money and views.
Aghdam created her YouTube channel in 2010 where she posts videos about everything from animal rights to veganism and exercise to cooking. Her primary YouTube channel had over 4500 subscribers with over 1.5 million views.
She also had a second YouTube channel where she posted videos in Turkish. The channel had more than 10K subscribers and over 2.3 million views.
In January 2017, Aghdam posted a video saying how YouTube “discriminated and filtered” her content. She complained that her channel used to get lots of views but after that being filtered by YouTube, it received very less views. Moreover, the company had demonetized many of her videos as well as stopped paying for her videos.
On her website, Aghdam wrote, “Be aware! Dictatorship exists in all countries but with different tactics! They only care for personal short term profits & do anything to reach their goals even by fooling simple-minded people, hiding the truth, manipulating science & everything, putting public mental & physical health at risk, abusing non-human animals, polluting environment, destroying family values, promoting materialism & sexual degeneration in the name of freedom,….. & turning people into programmed robots! ‘Make the lie big, Make it simple, Keep saying it, And eventually they will believe it’ Adolf Hitler.”
- Nasim is 39-years-old. According to CNBC, officials believe she carried out the attack because of a domestic dispute. However, ABC claims she had no relation to any of the victims or anyone in the building.
- She used a 9 mm handgun. Nasim reportedly died from a self-inflicted gun shot wound.
- She lived in the San Diego area. Before the attack, Nasim posted a cryptic video to Facebook claiming YouTube “discriminated and filtered” her content. She even went on to say, “there is not equal growth opportunity on YouTube.” But, it is unclear if that was the reason for the attack.
- Nasim was allegedly a member of PETA and an animal rights activist. In 2014, she posted a video claiming her car was vandalized by “anti-vegans” because the car had a sticker on it that read “meat is murder.”
- She fired 30-40 shots from her handgun. A spokesperson at San Francisco General Hospital, revealed that their facility was treating a 36-year-old man in critical condition, and two women, ages 32 and 27.
Nasim Aghdam is a YouTube personality and animal rights activist from Persia, settled down in southern California. She gained notoriety for her involvement in YouTube shooting at the company’s headquarters located in northern California on April 3, 2018. She opened fire when she approached the campus, leaving three wounded, a man and two woman, before killing herself.